Entries

Monday 29 December 2014

Reflection about using rubrics in education

One day we were talking about using rubrics in education. Personally, I think a rubric is a very useful tool for children and teachers for grading their work: they are interesting for teachers because rubrics help them evaluate their own work and the students' learning process, but they are essential for children (even more if rubrics are presented AT THE BEGINNING OF THE LESSON) because pupils can see what they need to do to get the highest mark. 
The concept of rubric is new to me, I have never used a rubric as a student neither in Primary Education nor in Secondary Education, but I have been presented a rubric twice or three times here in the university and in the way rubrics have to be presented, before I started working, so that I could see how I were going to be evaluated. 
I believe that rubrics fit very well with projects or activities based on constructivism but not so well with traditional activities, that's why the usage of rubrics in education is limited to the methodology that is present in the school we are working. 
All in all, I think this is a good tool for self-assessment, group assessment (teachers and students) and for grading (for teachers), and I would be delighted if I have the opportunity to use them in my future career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment